5/28/20 - GOOD TO KNOW:
- SUMMER COMMUNICATION- We will continue to communicate with you throughout the summer months on the return to school in the fall. When there is information to share, it will be sent to your email on Wednesday afternoons (unless of course something pressing or urgent comes before then…). Follow up from individual buildings would then come on a Thursday afternoon.
- MATERIAL DROP OFF/PICK UP- If you did not yet sign up for a time to pick up/drop off material, please do so. Your principal will again include a sign up link again in this week's communication.
- KINDERGARTEN REGISTRATION- Kindergarten Registration appointments are now being scheduled on Mondays and Thursdays starting June 8th at the District Office. The primary parent/guardian and supporting documents are all that is required. You do not need to bring your learner. To schedule your appointment, please go back into our Registration Gateway, where you completed the initial preregistration. https://cas.mcbarons.manheimcentral.org/cas_Manheim/login.
- PRE-K REGISTRATION- Manheim Central has a free, high quality pre-k program available to all Manheim Central residents (18 student max). Applications and registration can be completed online at: https://cas.mcbarons.manheimcentral.org/cas_Manheim/login
Actual pre-k screening will take place at the District Office on June 11th by appointment only. Appointments can be made at the time of registration using the link above.
- MEAL DISTRIBUTION- Next week we will continue to distribute meals on Tuesday and Thursday from 7-1. Please note that our final day of meal distribution will be Thursday, June 4.
5/21/20 - GOOD TO KNOW
- MATERIAL DROP OFF/PICK UP- You will be receiving information from your building principal regarding our process for dropping off school supplies (computers, books, instruments, etc.) and picking up all personal belongings (materials from lockers, desks, gym). Please be on the lookout for the email tomorrow so you can sign up for a pick up time.
- MEAL DISTRIBUTION- Next week we will continue to distribute meals on Tuesday and Thursday from 7-1. Please note that our final day of meal distribution will be Thursday, June 4. (Kudos to our Food Service Department for a turnaround on a short week!)
- KINDERGARTEN REGISTRATION- We are now starting to schedule Kindergarten Registration appointments on Mondays and Thursdays starting June 8th at the District Office. For this appointment we only need the primary parent/guardian to come in with the required supporting documents. You do not need to bring your learner. Your learner’s school will be in touch closer to the 1st Day of School in August with more information on the screening process. To schedule your appointment, please go back into our Registration Gateway, where you completed the initial preregistration. https://cas.mcbarons.manheimcentral.org/cas_Manheim/login
- NEXT SCHOOL YEAR- We know that there are many questions surrounding what school will look like in the fall. In the communication next week we will be sharing information including a parent survey and a summer communication plan. While there have been many ‘suggestions’ on what school could/should look like in the fall…I believe we are too early in the game to even speculate at this point. As we know more, rest assured we will be in communication.
5/14/20 - GOOD TO KNOW:
We will be rescheduling the Kindergarten Registration Appointments from March 17th and March 19th starting Monday June 8th. Everyone that pre-registered their child will get an email with instructions on how to reschedule their appointment. If you have not yet pre-registered your child please visit the Student Registration page of our website https://www.manheimcentral.org/Page/188 for further instructions. This appointment will be for registration only – you do not need to bring your child.
Pre-K Screenings will be conducted at the Manheim Central District Office on Thursday, June 11th. Parents/Guardians must complete pre-registration online and schedule a screening appointment. Visit the Student Registration page of our website https://www.manheimcentral.org/Page/188 for more information and to access our Registration Gateway. The screening appointment will involve a learner assessment and parent orientation. Children should wear comfortable clothing for the screening.
Only 1 parent and the learner will be permitted at the appointment. Please do not bring any other children that are not being assessed.
- End of School Year - Just a friendly reminder our last day of school will be June 4, 2020 for everyone. We will follow guidance from the PA Department of Health to determine end of the year closure procedures.
- Food Service Distribution - Meals will continue to be available for pick up Tuesday and Thursday at the High School from 7AM-1PM.
- Graduation - We have spent a great amount of time finalizing the graduation plans this past week. Mr. Weitzel and his team have spent a tremendous amount of time and energy in trying to make the best of a bad situation. He is putting the finishing touches on it and will communicate the plan tomorrow in his weekly update.
- Feedback Needed - I try to use this part of my community newsletter to provide information you will find useful. If there is a piece of information you are looking for and we are not providing it, please be in touch. It is critically important to us to make sure your concerns are being heard and addressed.
5/7/20 - GOOD TO KNOW:
- End of School Year- Just a friendly reminder our last day of school will be 04JUN2020 for everyone. We will follow guidance from the PA Department of Health to determine end of the year closure procedures.
- Food Service Distribution- Meals will continue to be available for pick up Tuesday and Thursday at the High School from 7AM-1PM.
- Graduation- I just wanted to keep you in the loop to let you know we continue to meet, discuss, and brainstorm ideas. We intend to have a finalized decision with details by the middle of the month.
4/30/20 - GOOD TO KNOW:
- End of School Year- Based on feedback we have received, we have decided to adjust the end date of school for students. The final day for all MCSD students will be the originally scheduled date of June 4, 2020. We will follow guidance from the PA Department of Health to determine end of the year closure procedures.
- WITF- We entered a partnership with WITF, As a result, families will now have access to educational programming that is aligned to the MCSD curriculum and the PA Core Standards. The link below will take you to the programming schedule. programming. WITF Programming for Manheim Central (https://www.witf.org/families-and-children/school-district-curriculums/#MCSD)
- Food Service Distribution- Meals will continue to be available for pick up Tuesday and Thursday at the High School from 7AM-1PM.
Graduation- I just wanted to keep you in the loop to let you know we continue to meet, discuss, and brainstorm ideas. We intend to have a decision by mid-May. Details to follow.
4/23/20 - GOOD TO. KNOW:
- Parent Survey- Thanks for taking the time to give us feedback. We received 296 family responses to our poll and spent time processing each response. There was mention of many things that are working well, however there was feedback regarding things we can work on improving.
Based on your feedback, here are the themes that emerged:
- Too many emails- There was a lot of initial information to share as we transitioned to an online learning environment. Now that we have transitioned into Marking period 4 you should notice a decrease.
- Change- We have trimmed back communication so that parents will receive one email from me on Thursdays, one email from Principals on Fridays, and teacher whole class communication will be posted to Schoology on Mondays. Individual follow up with learners will be sent only as needed.
Parent Tip- It may help if you as a parent or guardian turned off the schoology notifications you don’t want to receive. Here is a tutorial to help you: https://tinyurl.com/MCSDschoology
- Overwhelming for families- We know that our families all have a multitude of responsibilities during this time and understand the difficulty of balancing work, life and now school. We are trying to provide instruction that will keep students learning with a minimum burden on families.
- Change- For Elementary and Middle School learners, it seemed that Encore or Special classes may be too much. These postings will remain, but are optional for learners. For Elementary Learners, they will not be rated Satisfactory or Unsatisfactory. For Middle School, learners will be rated Satisfactory or “Excused.” High School learners follow their scheduled classes each day, including electives, so students can earn the required credits towards graduation.
- Parent Tip- Each child learns differently, so reach out to your teacher or administrator to communicate if your child is struggling.
- Clarity of “Satisfactory”- Many parents just wanted to know what needed to be done to be deemed satisfactory.
- Change- In the upcoming weeks, teachers will be posting criteria for success at the top of their schoology page or folder, or at the top of the choice board.
- Parent Tip- Every Monday, communication regarding the status of a students performance will be communicated. Reach out to the teachers for clarification if needed.
- Technical Navigation Issues- There were comments on a lot of clicking, multiple platforms or broken links on pages.
- Change- We have added a mandatory training for all teachers to fix some of the technical difficulties we have encountered and for teachers to maximize our integration of the various platforms we use in instruction. As everyone gets used to the tools on both ends, we anticipate an improvement in this area.
- Parent Tip- If you still encounter difficulty, please contact the teacher or building administrator(s) for academic issues or firstname.lastname@example.org for technology issues.
If you had asked a question in the survey not addressed above, someone will be reaching out to you. If you have additional questions or feedback, please contact your building administrator.
- Food Pick Up- Meals will continue to be available for pick up Tuesday and Thursday at the High School from 7AM-1PM.
- Non-Essential Item Pick Up- We are developing plans for families to pick up non-essential items from school. We will send out communication on implementation of this plan based on guidance from the Pennsylvania Health Department.
- Manheim Central was forced to postpone kindergarten registration and screening events at Doe Run and Baron Elementary Schools due to the shutdown of schools. Our Leadership team has been in discussion about how and when we can safely reschedule these events.
- Every parent that pre-registered their child will be notified with further instructions, once the stay-at-home order for Lancaster County has been lifted and we are able to open the offices to the public.
- Parents/Guardians who need to register a new student should complete the online pre-registration process and will be contacted via email with information on how to complete registration.
4/16/20 - GOOD TO KNOW:
- Parent Survey- As I have mentioned in my previous post, your feedback is critical to us- and our ability to improve and move forward. If you would, please take a few moments to give us your feedback regarding Online Learning in Manheim Central. We are always looking for ways to make our programs even more effective. Here is the link to the survey: https://forms.gle/c7u3MTDjn6tBEeJA9 . Should you have any trouble accessing it, please be in touch with a building administrator.
- Quarter 4 Grades- As we have moved into Phase 3/Planned Instruction of our Online Learning, a friendly reminder that our fourth quarter starts Monday, April 20th. Principals will be sending home more detailed information regarding grading in their email tomorrow.
- Communication- As we settle into our new normal, starting next week, I will scale my communication back to one time a week. My weekly communication will occur on Thursday. However, rest assured if new or pertinent information arises, I will be sure to be in touch.
- Food Service- Unless otherwise noted, we will continue with food distribution on Monday and Thursday, 7 AM to 1 PM at the High School.
4/13/20 - GOOD TO KNOW:
- Food Distribution- Friendly reminder we continue to hand out food on Tuesdays and Thursdays at the High School. 7 AM to 1 PM.
- Zoom Safety Concerns- Please see the attached (or the District Website) for an update on the security features we have put into place regarding the use of Zoom.
- Feedback Loop- On Thursday, we will distribute a survey to you all to determine how we are doing and where we can get better. Again, our response can only be as strong as the feedback provided. Please take a moment to complete it.
Phase 3 Online Learning- We have now entered the next phase of our online learning. Again, if you are experiencing any kind of technical difficulty, please be in touch with our tech department.
4/9/20 - GOOD TO KNOW:
- Closure of Schools- As I am sure you have heard by now, Governor Wolf has ordered all schools to be closed for the duration of the 2019-2020 academic school year.
- Graduation- I have had a number of parents reach out to me to ask about Graduation. As we stand now, we have so many unknowns. However, as a team, we have been brainstorming ideas. And, we will continue to do so. We are committed to make it as special as we can for our kids. As we know more information, we will be sure to communicate.
- Food Distribution- We will continue our food distribution at the High School next week (Tues & Thurs; 7 AM- 1 PM).
- MCSD Online Instruction- As promised, attached to this email is an overview of the next phase of Online Learning. Phase 3 will begin on Monday, April 13th and will continue through the rest of the year (unless otherwise directed by the state). As well, here is a YouTube Video of the Online Learning Document. MCSD Online Learning Overview Video (Please see the District Website if you have any issue accessing any of these documents/videos; furthermore, please be in touch with a building Principal if you have further questions.)
- Survey- There will be a survey coming out shortly to solicit your feedback on how Online Learning is progressing. Your input is invaluable. Details to follow.
4/6/20 - GOOD TO KNOW:
- Online Enrichment- Online Enrichment and Review Activities continue this week through April 9th via Schoology. We encourage all families to have learners participate in the provided activities.
- Tech Issues- Please reach out to your building administrator or our tech department if your child does not have a device or needs internet access. Please email email@example.com for all technology issues. If you don't have access to email, please call 717-664-1865.
- School Calendar – Friendly reminder that Good Friday, April 10th there will be no Online Learning.
- Online Learning (Next Phase)- Monday, April 13th will start our next phase of Online Learning. Additional details will be communicated on Thursday, April 9th.
- Updates on Report Cards - Quarter 3 Report Cards/Grades-
- Report Cards will be published for Quarter 3 on April 30, 2020.
- The end of Quarter 3 will be set at 3/13/20 and grades will be based on all work that was due by that date.
- If learners need to make up or retake assignments from the third quarter, they should contact their teacher. All make up work will be due on 4/17/20.
- Information on Quarter 4 will be in Thursdays email.
- Retrieval of Items- If you need an essential item from school, please fill out the google form that will be sent by your building administrator. According to the current restrictions, school access is only permitted for items essential to learning. Building administrators will be in contact with you to make arrangements to retrieve items.
- Food Distribution- Our Food service distribution continues to be going strong. In the weeks to come, we will distribute on Tuesdays; 7 AM to 1PM at the High School).
- FAQ-We have the FAQ posted on the District Website. If you have an outstanding question that has not been addressed, please be in touch. As mentioned the other day, our current plan runs through the 13th. For the next phase of Online Learning, we will include a second part to the FAQ on Thursday, April 9th.
- Upcoming Communication- Be on the lookout for a communication on Thursday in regard to changes in our continuity of education plan starting 4/13/20.
- Book Study- Pre Corona Virus 19, we were scheduled to have a Community Book Study tomorrow at the District Office. Unfortunately, we are postponed indefinitely, I will be in touch to reschedule when we know more.
4/2/20 - GOOD TO KNOW:
- Schoology Issues- As districts around the globe also make the transition to online learning, many service providers are struggling to meet the unprecedented demand. Schoology, a cloud hosted application, has seen nearly 400% increase in usage of the platform almost overnight. We anticipate seeing temporary outages from many of the sites we utilize as demand peaks throughout the day. There is extremely heavy usage from 10:30-12:30 as the western side of the country comes online. We know Schoology is working to resolve these issues as quickly as possible.
- FAQ-We have the FAQ posted on the District Website. If you have an outstanding question that has not been addressed, please be in touch. As mentioned the other day, our current plan runs through the 13th. For the next phase of Online Learning, we will include a second part to the FAQ.
- Schoology Tutorial- Our Tech Leaders have created a tutorial for how to log onto Schoology. Please see the District Website for more information.
- Food Distribution- Our Food service distribution continues to be going strong. Next week, we will keep the same distribution times and places that we did this week (Tuesday & Thursday; 7 AM to 1PM at the High School).
- Easter Break- Everyone is ‘off’ on Good Friday. Online Learning will resume on Monday, April 13th. As a friendly reminder, we are shutdown per the State’s orders until directed otherwise.
3/30/20 - GOOD TO KNOW:
- School Closure- Earlier this afternoon, Governor Wolf announced that all K-12 Pennsylvania schools will remain closed until further notice. As we have more information, we will be sure to be in touch.
- COVID-19 Website- We now have a COVID-19 section of our website that contains all information unique to our extended closure departments. Please navigate to www.manheimcentral.org for more information.
- Food Distribution- Here is an important message from our Food Service Director: “To ensure safety, the Food Service Department requests that all individuals coming to pick up food stay in their vehicles. Upon arrival, simply roll down the window to provide the number of children food is needed for and their names. Please clear out a designated space for food to be placed, preferably the trunk of the vehicle. Thank you for your cooperation.”
Food Distribution pick up will be tomorrow and Thursday at the High School. (7 AM to 1 PM)
- Online Learning – We get underway with our Online Learning Program this Wednesday. I believe you will see a stark difference from the ‘enrichment’ activities offered for the past two weeks. On a related note, if you are still in need of Internet in your home, please be in touch asap. We highly encourage all of our families/learners to participate in the activities our facilitators are providing.
- Shifting Sand- Along the lines of Online Learning, I have heard from a number of parents asking when ‘grades’, transcripts, etc. will come into play. We have established a plan for April 1st through the 13th. With the Governor’s Announcement today, we now shift our planning to an even more prolonged absence. Please know we are working on the details of the aforementioned…and when we have our plan finalized, we will be in touch. Again, I appreciate your patience as we navigate waters that change on a daily basis.
- FAQ- We are working our way through a Frequently Asked Questions Document. We are addressing both questions posed to us and ones we anticipate. While we do NOT have the answers to everything, we are working diligently to address as many as we can. We will have this document to you on Thursday. And, whatever information we have, we will share.
- 3/26/20 CONTINUITY OF EDUCATION - Thanks to our facilitators, principals and curriculum team for working very hard to prepare for online activities during our extended closure. Beginning Wednesday, April 1, 2020, your child will be able to access online activities from all your child’s facilitators through Schoology. Tomorrow, you will receive an email from your child’s principal that will be followed by email communication from your child’s teacher(s). Should you encounter any issues with lessons or technology, please reach out directly to your child’s teacher. While this next phase of work is voluntary, we are highly encouraging all of our learners to participate in the activities being developed by our learning facilitators. We have opted to keep this voluntary as we have ‘hope’ on the horizon with a scheduled return date. I humbly request your grace and patience as we navigate these turbulent waters. We still have so many unknowns- and, the ‘knowns’ are subject to change as well. Please know your understanding is immensely appreciated!
Learner Technology Repair
We have time slots available this week on Tuesday 6/2/20 and Thursday 6/4/20 from 8 am - 12:45 pm at the High School Lobby. 400 E Adele Ave, Manheim, PA 17545