Overview of English as a Second Language
Manheim Central provides a quality educational program with appropriately planned instruction for all identified Limited English Proficient students whose dominant language is not English in order to gain language proficiency and achieve academic success.
State regulation, 22 Pa. Code §4.26, declares:
Every school district shall provide a program for each student whose dominant language is not English for the purpose of facilitating the student’s achievement of English proficiency and the academic standards under §4.12 (relating to academic standards). Programs under this section shall include appropriate bilingual-bicultural or English as a second language (ESL) instruction.
As used here, the term “program” refers to:
- Planned instruction by a qualified ESL / Bilingual teacher.
- Adaptations/modifications in the delivery of content instruction by all teachers based on the student’s language proficiency level and the Pennsylvania Language Proficiency Standards (PA ELPS) for ELLs as well as the Pennsylvania academic standards.
The K-12 English as a Second Language (ESL) Program of the Manheim Central School District provides instruction to Limited English Proficient (LEP) students in the language skills needed to achieve academic success in content area classes and in daily life. Students eligible for the program...
- Learned a language other than English as their first language.
- Come from a home where a language other than English is spoken.
- Speak with family and peers in a language other than English.
To meet this goal, the language instruction addresses the PA Academic Standards for Reading, Writing, Speaking and Listening, the PA Common Core Standards, and the PA English Language Proficiency Standards (ELPS) for English language learners.
ESL Teacher for Grades 9-12Manheim Central HIgh SchoolCarolyn Amodio BusquePhone: (717) 664-1772