Interscholastic & Extracurricular Guidelines for Home Education Students
- Home education students wishing to participate in interscholastic athletics and/or extracurricular activities must submit a letter of request for participation, along with the affidavit for home education (and annually thereafter, by August 1) to the Superintendent of Schools. The Superintendent or the Superintendent’s designee will verify homeschool qualifications and notify principal who determines student participation.
- A meeting with the school principal is required to review expectations of the district.*
- Students will submit, on a weekly basis, attendance and academic status information to the appropriate school principal. Portfolio must be reviewed by the Superintendent, or his/her designee at the end of the previous school year to qualify for participation.
- The student and parent must meet with the athletic director and/or coach prior to participation in the activity.
- Students will qualify for participation based on the selection procedures for district enrolled students.
- Home schooled students must satisfy all PIAA eligibility requirements in order to participate in interscholastic athletics for the Manheim Central School District. These requirements include:
- Students must have a physical examination prior to participation.
- Students must be passing four full credits or the equivalent thereof.
- Students must not be absent for more than 20 days per semester from their educational program.
- Students must adhere to all Manheim Central School District rules which include:
- Signing and adhering to the “Baron Code”, which includes completion of a graduation project.
- Providing evidence of insurance, or signing a waiver.
- Following team rules.
- Students must continue to meet all the guidelines for home schooling (portfolio, testing requirements, evaluations, etc)
- Students are permitted to utilize transportation when it is provided for other team members, but are responsible for transportation at other times.
- A parent/guardian must inform the principal or designee on the day of a student’s absence, either written or through e-mail. Absences must comply with district rules and regulations and Board policies governing attendance, academic requirements, extracurricular activities, and interscholastic athletics.
- A student must be in attendance the full school day on the day of the event or activity. A full school day for a Manheim Central School District student is defined as being in attendance no later than 10:50am after the start of the school day. Any student arriving later than 10:50am must submit a note from a physician to be eligible to participate in sports or extracurricular activities. Exceptions may be granted by the building administrator only under exceptional circumstances.
- Eligible Extracurricular Activities:
- Interscholastic Sports
- Marching Band
- Pit Orchestra
- Color Guard
- Jazz Band
- Fall Play
- School Dances**
- Quiz Bowl Middle/High School
- Spring Musical
Click here to access the form needed for your scheduled meeting with the building principal. Thank you!
*If you have any questions prior to the meeting, please feel free to contact the High School office at (717) 664-8400 or Middle School Office at (717) 664-1700, depending on the age of the applicant.
**Contact the building principal for the requirements of school dances